Monday, July 5, 2010

Still a Salon Waxer?

For those who don’t know me, I try to be as frugal as I can nowadays, hoping to save up for some bigger and better things in life (the perfect house in the west side? better car? early retirement?). However, I am still a sucker in beauty products, salon waxing, fancy facials and pedicures! These habits are harder to get rid of than drugs! (not that I do any..lol) I do need some TLC with all the stress from work.

Anyways, in order to save money, I figured… why not try waxing at home!?

I got a Veet Ready-to-Use Wax Strips Sample Kit in the mail (SCORE!) and I couldn’t wait to try them out.

readytouse_wax_strips

IMG_0452

According to Veet’s Website, theses wax strips can:

“Free up your beauty routine and enjoy a new simple solution to sexy smooth skin. Because Veet Ready-to-Use Wax Strips leave you silky smooth for up to 4 weeks you’ll have more free time in-between waxes! It couldn’t be simpler.

A few seconds is all it takes to warm a wax strip between your hands, apply and remove. Each one has been carefully chosen to leave you feeling pampered and ready for anything.

So now you can always feel silky smooth and radiant. Just wax and go!”

I tried it on my upper lip, I was very disappointed with the results. Yes, it was extremely convenient and it smelled great. However, the wax was unable to grab any of my hair. I pulled the strip and THE STRIP DID CAME OFF, but the gooey wax stayed on my face. It was horrible. It took me 20 minutes to manually scratch the wax off my face with my fingernails (how painful!). The ‘perfect finish wipe’ did not help much either. Good thing they were free, if not, it would have been a waste of $15 for 20 strips.

Pros:

  • convenient
  • time-saving
  • no heating needed
  • easy to use

Cons:

  • ineffective. IT DOES NOT WORK!
  • gooey wax that sticks on to your skin
  • a mess to clean up after pulling the strip
  • painful to pull off the strip
  • even more painful to remove the remaining gunk on skin

Alternatively, I would highly recommend the Nair Cire Divine No-stripe Wax.

“A microwaveable wax - creamy yellow with a sensuous Tahitian Gardenia scent - that easily and effectively removes unwanted hair. Save time by not having to use cloth strips, with a wax that’s effective even on short hair. Results last for up to 4 weeks. Simply smooth on wax, peel off, and savor your soft, silky skin.” (from Nair’s website)

nair-cire-divine-gardenia-no-str_1233776814_LRG

prd-cire-divine-sensual-berries-no-strip-wax______

I bought this last summer as an impulsive buy for $13. I have no complaints since the first time I have used it. It works every single time! I’ve tried it on my legs/ underarm / upper lip and I absolutely loved the results.

Pros:

  • very effective, even on short hair
  • great tropical scent
  • good value - a small tub lasted me over a year
  • feels similar to a salon waxing experience
  • no strips required

Cons:

  • more time consuming – needs to heat it up in the microwave (hence the better result?)
  • a bit painful but tolerable

Overall it’s a great waxing kit and I would give it 4.5 stars. Go to their website and they have $2 coupons for purchases. :)

Follow us on Twitter:

Follow TheRawDiamond on Twitter

Until next time,

Fi

2 comments:

  1. oh yeah.. i use nair! haven't tried this veet ones..

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment :) I would say don't bother with Veet. I never have any luck with their products. I tried their roll on wax before and it sucked too!

    ReplyDelete